Monday, March 19, 2012

The Ten Best Running Songs (In My Humble Opinion)
By Lori Zakalik, MHA Intern

I don’t know about you, but for me the key to a great run is music that pumps me up and keeps me going. I usually change my running playlist every week or two because I get bored or the music no longer inspires me. As a result I am constantly looking to add new and motivating music to my routine. Below are ten tunes that are staples on my running playlist. If you are looking to add some excitement to your run, take a listen to any or all of these songs…

1) Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode: The underlying beat keeps my feet moving. I find it’s a great warm-up song for the beginning of my run!



2) We Found Love – Rihanna: The awesome techno-beat of this tune makes it my absolute favorite song to run to!



3) Lose Yourself – Eminem: Perhaps a bit cliché, but the lyrics in this song are truly inspirational and help me to put one foot in front of the other when I feel least motivated.

(Warning: explicit lyrics)



4) Seven Nation Army – The White Stripes: Something about the guitar riff in this song makes me feel like I can take on the world!



5) Your Love is My Drug - Ke$ha: The burst of energy I feel each time the chorus comes around makes this one of my favorite songs on the list.



6) Written in the Stars - Tinie Tempah: After seeing this song featured in Major League Baseball’s postseason commercials I knew I had to add it to my playlist. The inspiration lyrics plus the fantastic beat makes it a perfect running song.

(Warning explicit lyrics)



7) Keep the Car Running - Arcade Fire: You might be surprised to see a band like Arcade Fire on a running playlist, but this song is a lot of fun. Just imagine it is called Keep Yourself Running!


8) Dancing in the Dark - Bruce Springsteen: 80s music is always great to run to because almost every song has that underlying snare beat that matches perfectly with your running strides.



9) Elevation - U2: A high energy song that is perfect for finishing strong!



10) 11th Dimension - Julian Casablancas: While it is possible that my love for Julian Casablancas makes me biased, I think the beat and melody of 11th Dimension is perfect for winding down your run.




Of course this list is subjective based on my eclectic musical taste, but it works for me. What is your favorite song to run to? Any suggestions for me? I am always looking to add awesome new songs to my running playlist.



No comments:

Post a Comment